Monday, February 2, 2009

A Beautiful Drink..A Beautiful Name

This is my first post! This was supposed to be happening quite some but was just not able to sit and write something, but thanks to my dear friend soubir who constantly chased me up to write this blog.

I am very new to this trade called "blogging". When i was told its like a book first thing that came to my mind is that a book needs a name, so for last four months i was searching for the right name for my blog. This post will be dedicated to this name, or for that matter a drink also which is one of my favorites.

Rum with Orange Juice, also called a Cuban Screw or a Rum Screwdriver is a very popular cocktail, specially if made from malibu rum. But its just not a drink its more that for me. It reprsents a balance. I have been a die hard fan of rum for ages, but always was a traditional guzzler of rum with water and ice. About two years back a close friend told me to try this combination of rum and orange juice, and i did, and there i was that day i fell in love with that drink. It was like a potion that can make your bad day end good. Just for some fellow rummers i suggest if you have not tried this then please do. One part of rum and two parts of orange juice, pour it over ice.

Its a beautiful drink, but its also a beautiful name. Over the due course of time, i realised the beauty and the balance it signifies. This was a small thought that drove me to give a name like this to my blog.Well only i did think like that, i dont know how many will agree with me or how many of you reading this will be able to connect with this thought. On one hand we have Rum, a spirit that stands for toughness and fearless. The drinks of the men at high seas, be it the royal navy or the merciless pirates. On the other hand we have a petite orange, a fruit that signifies tenderness and health. Our life is also about this mix of being tough, fearless, tender and healthy. As goes with the drink and its perfect ratio of one is to two, i look forward always to have that balance. Aim is to achieve that equilibrium. But do we always stick to the mix in the right ratios. Well, the answer is No!

13 comments:

  1. Kudos Chandel. This is a brilliant start. Master stroke right with the first post. There is so much depth in your first post that I feel like having a drink now itself. Next time if possible, Rum with Orange Juice - Aye Aye Sir :) Keep rocking mate :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir. Since I cant be with you on your birthday, this is the gift I am giving you. Of course one more would follow later.

    Well what more could I ask for. You have mentioned my name in the first entry itself.

    :-)

    Truly I agree with you. We see contrasts everywhere in every facet of life. Summer and Winter, Right and Wrong, Yin and Yang.

    In fact I found something interesting on Yin and yang.


    Yin yang are opposing
    Yin yang describe opposing qualities in phenomena. For instance, winter is yin to summer's yang over the course of a year, and femininity is yin to masculinity's yang in human relationships. It is impossible to talk about yin or yang without some reference to the opposite.

    Yin yang are rooted together
    Since yin and yang are created together in a single movement, they are bound together as parts of a mutual whole. A race with only men or only women would disappear in a single generation, but men and women together create new generations that allow the race they mutually create (and mutually come from) to survive.The interaction of the two gives birth to things.

    Yin yang transform each other
    Like an undertow in the ocean, every advance is complemented by a retreat, and every rise transforms into a fall. Thus, a seed will sprout from the earth and grow upwards towards the sky - an intrinsically yang movement. Then when it reaches its full height, it will begin to weaken, and eventually will fall back to the earth in decay - an intrinsically yin movement. Yin always contains the potential for yang, and yang for yin.

    Yin-yang are balanced
    Yin-yang is a dynamic equilibrium. Because they arise together they are always equal: if one disappears, the other must disappear as well, leaving emptiness. This is rarely immediately apparent, though, because yang elements are clear and obvious while yin elements are hidden and subtle.

    So my friend, to end on a philosophical note, every thing in life is light and dark, but yes I totally agree that we have to achieve that sometimes unachievable goal or equilibrium of light and dark.

    And yes I am happy that the blog writer and the first two comment writers were also part of the blog entry. I am sure we remember the con-call which we had that night.

    Wish you all the best Sandeep and yes look forward to many more posts. I only shudder to think; If this took 4 months, then how many can we expect from you in the future. Or would be like a quarterly bonus which comes once in 3 months??

    Adios

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mix too. The first time I experienced it I was on my last tour of duty of US Naval service
    in Cherbourg France at a social mixer with the Frenc Navy. The orange juice was thick and heavy. I asked the bartender what it was and he stated "Rum." Since then it has become one of my favorites! I really like Maverick's yin-yang analogy. Having been a visitor and resident of Asia, it really hits home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started drinking this when I lived in Puerto Rico back in the 70s. Never really a big fan of rum and Coke. Just didn't like sodas. And everyone was into Bicardi, but I liked another PR rum called Don Q. Still drink Q and OJ to this day. Great drink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered this drink today and looked on the web to find what if any was a name and came across this blog. This is a great tasting drink and from now on will be a favorite of mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really good drink. Just discovered it today

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously? A blog about a glass of orange juice? Wow. Please get a life. A real life. Umm and lay off the rum. Me thinks your bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me thinks you're a pathetic disgrace, sandy cheeks. keep up the good work, sandeep! this is what the world needs to hear

      Delete
    2. nothing to say huh? yeah that's what I thought....

      Delete
    3. Sandy How did you find this blog? Sounds like you were looking up rum or orange juice. Sounds like you are a bit of a hypocrite or are in denial of your own Orange juice fetishes. Me thinks you should look in the mirror.

      Delete
  8. Sorry wrong grammar. Me thinks that YOU ARE bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me thinks you should review your rude ass comments before posting them!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete